Wednesday 21 September 2011

Papaya Tree

It would be nice if we could grow some papaya fruits in the new garden. I have one papaya tree in the backyard that grew in one of the holes of a concrete hollow block that we used to enclose the perimeter of a flowering shrub. I know I did not plant it there so it must have been dropped by a bird. That got me to thinking that perhaps I could extricate it from this small hole and transfer the papaya fruit in the new garden. It will have enough room there because the place is in full sun whereas the small garden that we have here at the back is partly in shade. I just don't have the space to grow papaya trees in the backyard so if I should grow some fruit trees, it will have to be in the new garden. I don't know anything about planting papaya fruit so I went online and read as much as I could. It's interesting to learn that they only have a productive lifespan of 3 1/2 years. What bothers me is that you could not tell the difference between a male, female, hermaphroditic or bisexual just by looking at the seeds during sowing time. So until the plants has grown and bore some flowers, that is about the only time that you could tell the difference. Anyway, reading about papaya plant has got me interested in buying a fruit in the supermarket tomorrow and save the seeds for planting. It would be nice if I could get some female or hermaphroditic seeds out of one papaya fruit. I am going to save the seeds of the vegetables that I cut from now on and  try to dry them out and use them for sowing.



No comments:

Post a Comment